Monday 24 June 2013

The story of Peter Francis

Peter Francis claims he worked as an undercover police officer in the 1990s, investigating the family of murdered black teenager Stephen Lawrence.

The former officer said he came under ‘huge and constant pressure’ to ‘hunt for disinformation’ that might be used to undermine those arguing for a better investigation into the murder.

This comes just a couple of years after the revelations about former undercover police officer Mark Kennedy.

I have never served on a jury, and I hope I never will.  For years now I have come across one instance after another of police officers either lying or tampering with evidence, along with allegations of prosecutors withholding evidence from defence lawyers. For years I tried to kid myself that these cases were exceptional, but I now feel that if I were ever to serve on a jury then I might well feel morally compelled to find the defendant not guilty.

Quite simply I am not sure I could bring myself to convict someone on the basis of evidence put before the court by people who cannot be trusted.  I urge the government to bring in new legislation to clean up the police and the CPS.  It is long overdue.

I have previously commented on the police as follows:

Police priorities

Police and Muslims: get real

No comments:

Post a Comment