Sunday 1 September 2013

The lunacy of HS2

HS2 is the planned high speed rail link which will run initially between London and Birmingham.  It is currently expected to cost more than £40billion, and no trains will run before 2026 - more than twelve years hence.

The Labour Party say they are behind it, but apparently want a £50billion cap.  Does that mean they would stop building the line if the cost rose that high?  Would all the billions of pounds already spent have been in vain?

I doubt it.  I think it far more likely that Labour are lying, and that they would back HS2 regardless of the cost.  If I am wrong, let them say that a Labour government would definitely abandon HS2 if the costs rose to £50billion.  I'm waiting ...

Surely the most sensible option would be to abandon HS2 now, before work has even begun, but I do not expect that to happen.  The British people seem for the most part to have a curious obsession with electing politicians who treat them with utter contempt.  There is a moral here.  Do I have to spell it out?


No comments:

Post a Comment