Sunday 15 January 2017

The murder of Andrea Bocelli

As the inauguration of Donald Trump as President of the USA approaches, it is reported that Andrea Bocelli and Jennifer Holliday are among the long list of famous performers who will not be taking part.

My first comment is that these performers are missing out on publicity, although to be fair a lot of them are major celebrities who perhaps do not feel the need for such publicity.  Nevertheless, the perfomers who will take part - Jackie Evancho and Toby Keith - may well benefit from increased sales of their recordings.

Jennifer Holliday initially agreed to perform, but then pulled out and gave the reason that she stands with the LGBT community.   I am not sure what Doland Trump has done which supposedly has annoyed the LGBT community, but it does make me wonder about the mindset of people in that community.

I am not LGBT, but I do have bills to pay, and it is only by the grace of God that I have never been the victim of a burglary or mugging.  Am I right in concluding that people in the LGBT community also have bills to pay?  Surely it is fair to say that everyone in the LGBT community either has been the victim of a burglary or a mugging or else could be tomorrow.

There are times when it is tempting to conclude that all homosexuals put their sexuality at the centre of their existence.  At the risk of sounding homononphobic, I don't believe that.  Whatever Trump may have said concerning sexuality, I would be very suprised if not one LGBT person voted for him.  People normally vote in elections on a wide range of issues, and each person who votes has their own set of priorities.

The more worrying issue for me is that Andrea Bocelli apparently backed out of the inauguration ceremony because he received death threats.  If this is true, then I hope that the people who sent the death threats will be prosecuted and sent to prison.

I have never in my life sent anyone a death threat, and neither have I ever received one, but there are times when I wonder if I am perhaps the only person in the world who has neither sent nor received a death threat.  Examples of people who have in the past received death threats include:


  • a man in London who campaigned to save some historic railway arches from demolition;
  • Caroline Flack when she was dating Harry Styles;
  • the American singer Rebecca Black, when she was thirteen years old.

People who send death threats, regardless of the provocation, really disgust me, and most if not all of them ought to be imprisoned.


Related previous posts include:
Another teenager dies in pre-communist Britain 
Ryan French is dead

No comments:

Post a Comment