Wednesday 18 December 2013

The future of the Muslim world

Two things catch my eye in the press today.  The first is a comment by Max Hastings about Afghanistan.  Much as I dislike Hastings, I will admit that he makes a good case on this occasion.  He notes that:

The expenditure of hundreds of billions of pounds, the loss of hundreds of American and British lives and tens of thousands of Afghan ones have merely transformed the country into one of the most corrupt on earth.

Whole avenues of skyscrapers in Dubai are owned by associates of President Hamid Karzai, built with cash ultimately stolen from Western taxpayers.

He does not say, however, (unless I missed it) that the elections in which Karzai came to power were rigged by the USA to let him win.  Make no mistake: Afghanistan now is very much in the image of what the USA wants.  I don't know who I am quoting here, but the USA is arguably the ultimate rogue state.

The other news item is that Prince Charles has spoken out about the ongoing persecution of Christians in the Middle East.  While I am pleased that he has addressed this matter, he betrays either his ignorance or perhaps an obstinate refusal to face facts when he refers to fundamentalist Islamist militants.

The Muslim who persecutes Christians is the true Muslim.  The Muslim who does not is probably either not a true Muslim, or else is biding his time.

We should not expect the future of the Muslim world not to feature widespread corruption and the persecution of non-Muslims.

My previous posts on related issues include:



No comments:

Post a Comment